Re: commit

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: commit
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 07:52:01 +0900 (JST)

>From: Ernst Reissner
>To: Mike Miller
>Cc: octave-maintainers >Date: 2016/7/22, Fri 07:09
>Subject: Re: commit
>

>On 07/21/2016 11:57 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 22:10:21 +0200, Ernst Reissner wrote:
>>Hi Mike,
in the meantime i realized my failure:
hg commit just commits locally.
I did so and then I again cloned my environment without realizing that
that discarded all my changes. Tatsuro told me that if I want to provide a
patch I have to hg export.  Tank you for explaining all..

Sorry I have forgotten to CCing to the ML.

>>Thank you for your contribution. I wonder what we could add to our
documentation or web site to make the contribution process more clear to
new contributors like you. Any thoughts? What did you read that gave you
enough to know you had to `hg commit` but not that commits are local and
have to be exported or pushed?
>I think,
>
>https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/get-involved.html
>
>is a good start point.
>
>in particular, there is a reference to etc/HACKING.
>
>I think at least for me it would have helped to mention not only pull from
>repo and resync,
>
>but also how to provide patches.
>
>Also the distinction between bugfix and other patches.
>

>Is it also possible to add documentation? txi and within source code?
>
>I ask because the java classes are almost not at all documented.

The last part of
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/get-involved.html

There is a link
The Octave manual has more information about contributing to Octave's
development.

(
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html#Contributing-Guidelines
 )

Reading the manual, it only introduces the patch tracker.
(
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/How-to-Contribute.html#How-to-Contribute
 )
Introduction of the patch tracker is no problem.
However, contribution is not only new codes but also bug fixes and
modifications.
The latter should be submitted to the bug tracker not to the patch tracker.
(http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave)

Description of bug tracker hopefully is added to the manual.

Tatsuro