Re: Re-distributing Octave built with Intel Compilers?

From: edmund ronald
Subject: Re: Re-distributing Octave built with Intel Compilers?
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 21:41:25 +0200

Mike -

 This is no matter for joking. You have agreed to license your code according to the GPL. At this point if Jeff as a licensee needs to have confidence that as long as he adheres to the GPL none of the authors will "object". There are zillions of computers and devices out there which are based on proprietary compilers, and if the license gets put in doubt in this way then the free software movement will grind to a halt.

Edmund

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 8:54 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 10:45:33 -0400, Jeff Layton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Something of a licensing question... If I build Octave with
> the Intel Compilers and I have a license that allows for
> redistribution of the Intel components (runtime libs), can
> I redistribute Octave?

As a GNU project, we would of course prefer, but cannot require, that
you use the GNU compiler collection.

As just one of the copyright holders to a very small part of the Octave
code base, I would personally object to you distributing a binary
derived from the Octave source code that depends on and includes
non-free binary blobs, and I think many others would as well.

As a non-lawyer, maybe better to ask address@hidden.

--
mike