Re: Re-distributing Octave built with Intel Compilers?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Re-distributing Octave built with Intel Compilers?
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:30:57 -0400

On 07/22/2016 03:53 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:

A follow-on question, if I build Octave with the Intel compilers
for my own personal use (not re-distributing), I'm assuming
that I still comply with the GPL that Octave uses. Is this true?

Yes.  The GPL covers distribution.

As to your other question, the GPLv3 (the version used by Octave) has a clause about system libraries. It's not entirely clear to me whether the Intel compiler falls under the system library exception, but it might.

Here is a similar question from the GPL FAQ about the MSVC++ runtime libraries:

  https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#WindowsRuntimeAndGPL

You are, of course, still subject to the rest of the terms of the GPL, so if you are distributing binaries (modified or not) you must make the corresponding source available in a way that satisfies section 6 of GPLv3 (Conveying Non-Source Forms).

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html

IANAL, etc.