Re: odeset/odeget

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: odeset/odeget
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 20:01:47 +0200

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 06:08:42AM +0000, Francesco Faccio wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> as discussed with Carlo, Jacopo and Marco, we would like to modify
> functions odeset and odeget in order to allow the user to add new
> fields required by some particular solver and to standardize the
> input check to avoid code duplication.
>
> The first idea we had was to use function validateattributes or, for
> complex input checking, the class inputParser.
>
> Are we going to use this strategy or there are some better ways to
> do that (unfortunately I missed last discussion about it)?  Any
> suggestion is appreciated.

I probably didn't follow this discussion, though remember faintly that
I mentioned the following before:

Why don't odeset/odeget use the same scheme as the already existing
optimset/optimget/__all_opts__ ? Don't we now have solutions with
conceptually different code for two problems (optimization and ode
options) similar enough to use equivalent code?

In the optimget/optimset/__all_opts__ scheme the client functions can
advertise their options themselves. And the defaults depend on the
client function, which seems reasonable to me.

Olaf