Re: GSL in octave

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: GSL in octave
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 07:34:57 +0200

Le 25/07/2016 à 04:03, Carnë Draug a écrit :
On 17 July 2016 at 10:32, Julien Bect <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
This Makefile is essentially the one written by Carnë and Oliver for other
packages, to which I made some minor changes (which, I hope, are correct,
but I am no Makefile expert).  The first change adds a src/configure target.
The second one enforces a lowercase package name in tarball filenames;
apparently Octave refuses to install GSL-1.2.0.tar.gz.
The issue is probably that the package name is lowercase but the directory
name inside was uppercase.  There should not be an issue with the actual
tarball filename.

Yes, its works now. The package name in DESCRIPTION is sill "GSL" (uppercase), but the ${PACKAGE} variable in Makefile is "gsl" (lowercase).

First attempt after all this (with Octave 4.0.3 on Debian Jessie): the
tarball fails to install with the error message reported below.  The simple
truth is, I don't have libgsl-dev installed... but shouldn't this be
reported by configure and therefore block the rest of the build process?
Anyway, I don't know if this is a problem with the package or with the pkg
function in Octave.

Yes, you are right.  The configure script should check that gsl is available
and fail if not.  For some packages, but not for gsl, it make sense to just
disable a set of functions.  This is a problem with the gsl package.

Yes, it's fixed now. configure fails is gsl or mkoctfile is not found, and disables missing special functions.

@++
Julien