Re: odeset/odeget

From: Jacopo Corno
Subject: Re: odeset/odeget
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 10:28:40 +0200

Il 24/07/2016 20:01, Olaf Till ha scritto:
On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 06:08:42AM +0000, Francesco Faccio wrote:
Dear all,

as discussed with Carlo, Jacopo and Marco, we would like to modify
functions odeset and odeget in order to allow the user to add new
fields required by some particular solver and to standardize the
input check to avoid code duplication.

The first idea we had was to use function validateattributes or, for
complex input checking, the class inputParser.

Are we going to use this strategy or there are some better ways to
do that (unfortunately I missed last discussion about it)?  Any
suggestion is appreciated.
I probably didn't follow this discussion, though remember faintly that
I mentioned the following before:

Why don't odeset/odeget use the same scheme as the already existing
optimset/optimget/__all_opts__ ? Don't we now have solutions with
conceptually different code for two problems (optimization and ode
options) similar enough to use equivalent code?

In the optimget/optimset/__all_opts__ scheme the client functions can
advertise their options themselves. And the defaults depend on the
client function, which seems reasonable to me.

Olaf

It's a good idea to look into those function to avoid unnecessary hassle. However I did some tests with Matlab and I found out some differences in how optimset
and odeset works there. They should be considered to have compatibility.

First of all optimset allows passing the name of a solver to automatically set the specific options for that solver and its default values, while odeset does not have
this feature.

Moreover, optimset seems to perform checks on the values passed and returns an error if the value is incompatible with the field. odeset lets everything pass through. The check on the options validity is performed by some internal function
in the solvers themselves.

Cheers,
Jacopo

--