Re: odeset/odeget

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: odeset/odeget
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 11:12:21 +0200

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 10:28:40AM +0200, Jacopo Corno wrote:
> It's a good idea to look into those function to avoid unnecessary hassle.
> However
> I did some tests with Matlab and I found out some differences in how
> optimset
> and odeset works there. They should be considered to have compatibility.
>
> First of all optimset allows passing the name of a solver to automatically
> set the
> specific options for that solver and its default values, while odeset does
> not have
> this feature.
>
> Moreover, optimset seems to perform checks on the values passed and returns
> an
> error if the value is incompatible with the field. odeset lets everything
> pass
> through. The check on the options validity is performed by some internal
> function
> in the solvers themselves.

Still the desired behaviour of odeset/odeget could be implemented with
the copied code of optimset/optimget/__all_opts__, by only slightly
changing it and keeping its overall design. I think this would address
the issue in the original post.

BTW, the last feature you mention for Matlabs optimset is not
implemented in current Octaves optimset, but could be added.

Olaf