Re: How to disable pdf generation but keep function help

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: How to disable pdf generation but keep function help
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 11:09:07 -0700

On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 09:12:15 +0200, Sebastian wrote:
> Dear Mike,
>
> Mike Miller wrote on Sun, 11 Oct 2015 10:21:43
> >> My idea was to disable only the specific pdf/html build targets but it
> >> would
> >> be rather tedious for me to go to all details of doc/module.mk. It would
> >> be
> >> great if someone could give me a hint. I could also try to create a new
> >> configure switch "--disable-manual" or something similar....
> > Does "make all DOC_TARGETS=" work? That should clear the list of doc files
> > that "make all" wants to build.
>
> I have been using "make all DOC_TARGETS=" on many machines but
> sometimes it is ignored and Octave tries to build the docs which often
> fails because people do not have a tex environment.
>
> I will try to debug this but can you tell me where in the build
> procedure this is evaluated? which build target is responsible for the
> latex docs?

I believe jwe has made some changes recently to ensure that only things
that depend on TeX are disabled with --disable-docs. I think this means
that you will still get all builtin help functions and the lookfor cache
created and installed even with --disable-docs, so maybe that option is
safer to use now (with default → 4.2).

--
mike