Re: GSoC '16 - Boolean Operations on Polygons : Merge Code to geometry P

From: AMR_KELEG
Subject: Re: GSoC '16 - Boolean Operations on Polygons : Merge Code to geometry Package
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 10:25:06 -0700 (PDT)

PhilipNienhuis wrote

> amr mohamed wrote
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I would like to start contacting the Geometry package's maintainer so
>> that we can decide how the code will be merged during the next days.
>> I implemented some functions as cc files and the package currently has
>> only .m functions.
>> So, I will try to structure the src directory as in the image package
>> (https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/image/ci/default/tree/src/).
>>
>> The functions make use of the Boost library (>=1.60) so my Mentor told me
>> that we will need to make a dependency for this version of Boost instead
>> of adding the boost-geometry library as a part of the package.
>> However, If i were the user, i won't know how should i download the
>> required version of Boost library and make octave's function use it.
> (mapping package maintainer here, just a quick note as I'm on vacation
> with patchy Internet access until somewhere next week.)
> Thanks for this work, a welcome contribution IMO.
> Once it is included in the geometry package the mapping package will make
> use of it as well, several functions for that are almost finished. See
> a.o., savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?9000 for some developments along
> that line.
>
> I have a few questions, mainly because I missed all progress on this GSOC
> project as I somehow missed blogs and progress reports -might be my own
> fault :-).
>
> 1. Is the entire boost library required or just a subset? Last time I
> looked boost comprised some 105 MB of a maze of include files, of which
> only a fairly small subset is required for boolean ops on polygons.
>
> 2. Did you implement interpolation of Z-values on clipped polygon sides?
> That is something I discussed with John Swensen; it would be a useful
> asset for the mapping package as -unlike its Matlab counterpart- many of
> its polygon functions accept polygons with Z-values and 3D polygons.
>
> 3. Similarly did you implement drawing polygons with holes using e.g., the
> polytri library? also something that came up in discussions with John S.
>
> 4. Where is your code currently hosted?
>
> Philip

1-No, i have manually removed unnecessary parts of the library so it reduced
to approximately 14MB.
I think we can minimize the headers size to less than 10MB.

2-No, We discussed adding a z coordinate to the polygons during our first
chat (last May) and he told me to postpone it for now.

3-Yes, we are drawing polygons with holes removed.
But, functions currently aren't working well with complex self-intersecting
polygons as the Boost Geometry dissolve function that is used to solve
self-intersections is still unstable (under the library's extension and not
part of the core library).

4-The clone of the package is hosted on bitbucket here:
https://bitbucket.org/amr_keleg/octave-geometry

And kindly find my blog where i posted the project's progress.
https://amrkeleg.wordpress.com/

Amr