Re: Avoid global pointers in dae

From: Francesco Faccio
Subject: Re: Avoid global pointers in dae
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 20:50:15 +0000

Carlo de Falco wrote:

> On 15 Aug 2016, at 12:42, Francesco Faccio <address@hidden> wrote:

> > What I wanted to do to avoid global pointers was to overload the constructor of DAEFunc in order to call
> >
> > ColumnVector res = (*pointres) (y0, yp0, t, ires, ida_fcn);
> >
> > where ida_fcn is a octave_function *, but octave_function is an incomplete type inside liboctave.
> > The same problem affects the Jacobian evaluation.
>
> Is there any special reason why you insist setting user_data to a function pointer to user function
> instead of using the 'this' pointer of your IDA object?
>
> That would look much more simple and natural to me because then you can implement anything you need
> as a method in your class and you can also directly access all data stored in instances of that class ...
>
> c.
Carlo,

in that mail I was providing some code in order to explain better the differences between the design I implemented and the one you suggested, as you asked. Of course the example you showed is easier to implement and make the code less rigid. I have already removed lambdas and the pointers passed through user_data.

Thank you,

Francesco