Re: GSoc 2016: Final Reviews required

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: GSoc 2016: Final Reviews required
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 14:42:22 -0700

> On Aug 22, 2016, at 11:48 AM, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Juan Pablo Carbajal-2 wrote
>> On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 11:35 AM, PhilipNienhuis &lt;
>
>> pr.nienhuis@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>> JuanPi, how would  you like development to proceed further?
>>> Amr has finished his work but polishing the code for error checks etc. is
>>> still required. Such (input) error checks do not look very difficult and
>>> can
>>> be copied from other code in octave.
>>> The error catching (= avoiding crashes) is probably more challenging.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I will keep apologizing for my lack of reaction.
>> I think the best is to merge with geometry asap (there is also APi
>> issues to solve) and continue fixing from there on.
>>
>> I could make a bitbucket repo to ease the merging, or somebody with
>> push rights to SF could do it, if the time is pressing and you can't
>> wait for a window in my schedule.
>
> Amr already "merged", his repo contains a complete geometry-3.0.0 AFAICS
>
> Is there really so much hurry? Any insights on when you will have time for
> some review?
>
> I can do some basic stuff like pushing to the OF repo. But my time is
> limited as well, so it will be by little parts at a time in the next weeks.
> There's also the divide between mapping and geometry and some duplicate
> functionality; I can sort that out for you as well then.
>
> Philip
>

> --

I have been asking Amr for at least two more items before I pass off on the
GSoC:

1) include all the benchmarking tests that he converted from the ClipperLib
website into the repository and his other basic tests. We can potentially run
these as part of a ‘make test’ target.
2) Make a really nice final blog post that shows visually all the functionality
that was added. This involves a couple of set of demonstration images showing
the two input polygons used and the results of UNION, INTERSECT, DIFFERENCE,
XOR. Since a lot of people aren’t going to wade through C++ code to see what
was accomplished (or even read the Readme.md in the repository), a really
well-documented final blog post will let Octave users see what has been added.

John S.