Re: 4.2 Release Checklist

From: Marco Caliari
Subject: Re: 4.2 Release Checklist
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 13:50:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016, Rik wrote:

8/29/16

The release is approaching and next week we will try to make version 4.2
release candidate 1.

For any GSOC mentors/reviewers, this is the last week to review your
student's code and still have it included in the 4.2 release.

Dear Rik, dear maintainers,

Cristiano Dorigo worked with SOCIS and the official end of programme is tomorrow. He worked a lot with pcg, gmres, bicg, bicgstab, cgs fixing several errors, bugs, incompatibilities and not always clear documentations. For better compatibility, he changed some output diagnostic (value of the flag error, number of iterations) and also the result itself (for instance, when the methods reach the maximum number of iterations, Matlab returns the best approximation, aka with minimal residual, not the latest as Octave does).

I followed him weekly, I think he made a great job, but honestly it is quite hard to me to make a deep review (maybe alone) of all his work in the next six days. And a deep review is needed, since he touched almost all the iterative methods for linear systems. Is it possible to have more time for the review? Anyone else would like to help me in the review? Is it possible that we introduce in 4.2 only the new pcg and gmres (probably the most used solvers, and the first two Cristiano started to study and modify)?

Thanks,

Marco