Re: linestyles in gnuplot

From: Rik
Subject: Re: linestyles in gnuplot
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 14:32:01 -0700

On 09/02/2016 01:19 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 15:10:30 -0500, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
>> I've pulled gnuplot 4.6.6 from that project's version control.  I had a bit
>> of problem compiling and had to hack the "prepare" file.  Got it to compile.
>> But I have no gnuplot Qt terminal (probably because I've switched to Qt 5.0
>> on my system).  When I try the "wxt" terminal, I see some really bad looking
>> errors.  But, if I switch to GNUTERM='x11' terminal in may .bashrc file, and
>> run
>>
>> plot (1:10, '--')
>> print -dpng 'test.png'
>>
>> I see dotted lines for both the X11 plot and the PNG file.
> I see dotted lines in both as well.
>
> With gnuplot 4.4 I see no line at all, just an empty axis, both in the
> X11 terminal and in the PNG file.

I'm using the package gnuplot-x11 4.6.6-2 from Ubuntu.  I used the attached
scripts do_plot.m and run_do_plot.m to test x11, qt, and wxt terminals.
For me, they all produce solid lines regardless of the linestyle.  If I
install the package gnuplot-qt 4.6.6-2, then gnuplot-x11 is automatically
removed, but at least the qt terminal will then show linestyles correctly.
The 'wxt' terminal isn't recognized in this case, and 'x11' still doesn't
respect the linestyle.  It appears to be a visual thing only (although that
is still bad).  When I print the plot the line has the correct linestyle.

This doesn't affect me personally, I've moved up to gnuplot 5.0.3 to escape
the weirdness with 4.X.  This makes me agnostic about whether this gets
resolved for the release.

--Rik