Re: odepkg on Mac (was: Octave 4.2.0 release candidate 1 available for f

From: Sebastian
Subject: Re: odepkg on Mac (was: Octave 4.2.0 release candidate 1 available for ftp)
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 20:01:42 +0200

> Am 09.09.2016 um 19:35 schrieb Mike Miller <address@hidden>:
>
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2016 at 19:07:35 +0200, c. wrote:
>>
>> On 9 Sep 2016, at 18:25, Nir Krakauer <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> pkg install -forge odepkg also works for me with Homebrew's Octave
>>> (4.0.3-3). gcc and c++ are Apple LLVM version 7.3.0 (clang-703.0.31) and
>>> gfortran is GNU Fortran (Homebrew gcc 6.2.0) 6.2.0
>>
>> Can someone please try the same with Octave 4.1 or 4.2rc1 ?
>> The issue Sebastian refers to never occurred on 4.0
>
> With the released package version 0.8.5 or the latest sources from hg?
Please install from the repository, the old 0.8.5 is broken with Octave >=4.1
(I think the odepkg repository is git but this doesn't matter anyway).

> Do you expect that the issue is macOS- and/or clang-specific? Has anyone
> other than Sebastian had this problem?
No, I think nobody tried so far to install odepkg with clang or mac for
octave>=4.1. We are trying to replicate this for some time...
I (we?) suspect that there is something wrong with octave's configure and
clang. My "octave-config.h" does not contain any "#  define F77..." statements.

@Mike: can you check this with your Debian installation?

> In bug #48380, there is a comment saying that the odepkg hg sources work
> fine against Octave default [1]. But of course this is with gcc.
GCC on Linux has been reported by Jacopo and Carlo to work if you set
"configure F77=gfortran". Otherwise it fails.

> There is a patch in mxe-octave for odepkg [2], presumably containing
> things that have been fixed in hg but not yet released.
Yes, it looks like Carlo's recent changes.

@Carlo: can you release a beta version of odepkg such that testers can just
download it?

Bye
Sebastian