Re: Minimum gnuplot version for Octave 4.2?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Minimum gnuplot version for Octave 4.2?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 10:26:09 -0700

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 09:52:14 -0700, Rik wrote:
> Is there any objection to requiring a minimum gnuplot version of 4.4 for
> the next release?  The release date was March 2010, or 6.5 years ago.  The
> 4.2 series had a release date of April 2007, but I don't think anyone has
> tried to use Octave with gnuplot 4.2.X and I'm not really sure it would
> work anymore.  In our own README.gnuplot we say, "Octave works best with
> gnuplot 4.4 or higher, which is available from http://www.gnuplot.info.";
>
> I happened to notice in the documentation for image() that we still have
> "*Warning:* X and Y are ignored when using gnuplot 4.0 or earlier." which
> is horrendously out of date.

None here.

RHEL/CentOS 5 has gnuplot 4.0 and RHEL/CentOS 6 has gnuplot 4.2. All
other current supported versions of distros that I know of have 4.4 or
later. I think it's safe to drop checks and warnings messages for any
version lower than 4.4. Gnuplot should be very easy to build on older
GNU or UNIX distros that may need a newer version.

Thanks for asking, I remember seeing the "4.2" version check in the
functions and did not follow up on it.

--
mike