octave forge packages on a mac

From: Lazy_Tom
Subject: octave forge packages on a mac
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 15:44:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I'm trying to run octave with octave forge packages on my mac (OSX 10.10.5)
but have some problems in doing it.

Before V4.03 Octave was not available as a .dmg so I managed to have it
running properly (included forge packages) through macPort.

when the octave 4.03 came out in .dmg the macPorts support was discontinued
so I thought to remove the macPort version (keeping macPorts) and try the
4.03 on .dmg

Everything seems ok at the beginning but when I installed the forge package
("pkg install odepkg -forge") though I got some warnings during the process
the new functions were working. Unfortunately at some point I had other
problems with Octave (I leave the details for the moment since it is
complicated to explain) and decided to reinstall it from the .dmg. To do so
I thought (maybe naively) that thrashing octave app and rerunning the .dmg
would do the trick but the problem actually got worse.

Now I can only install/run Octave 4.0.3 and if I try to do "pkg install
odepkg -forge" I get an error.

If anyone can give me a help on this it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Marco