Re: Available gnuplot terminal in MXE windows version

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Available gnuplot terminal in MXE windows version
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 09:04:58 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: Mike Miller
> To: Rik
> Cc: Octave-Maintainers
> Date: 2016/9/16, Fri 06:50
> Subject: Re: Available gnuplot terminal in MXE windows version
>
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 14:42:53 -0700, Rik wrote:
>>  I ran gnuplot.exe from the bin directory of 4.2.0-rc1 installed on a
>>  Windows XP VM.  Using 'set term' I see that the only usable
> terminal is
>>  "windows".  Are we actively choosing not to build other
> cross-platform
>>  terminals like wxt and qt, or is this just an accident?
>
> See https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?48474, there is some work underway to
> try to build additional terminals.
>
> --
> mike

Additional explanation

The current gnuplot for windows on mxe is built without external libraries.
Therefore it has only limit terminals.

The main purpose for the patch on the bug tracker, which Mike indicated,
is to compile gnuplot with cairo based and tikz terminals to support
cairo based (e.g. pdfcairo ) and tikzstandalone print devices in octave.
This is because those print devises are described in the 4.2.0
(at that time 4.1.0+) manuals.
Compiling gnuplot with wxt and qt terminals are not included.

However, I have tried to compile gnuplot with wxt and qt terminals on
mxe-octave.

1. qt
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?48474#comment38

As I wrote there, we need qt5 to implement practically usable qt terminal.

2. wxt
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?48474#comment62

I personally have to be able to built wxwidgets  and  wxt terminal.
But I did not include it the current patch.

If there is a demand, I can prepare the patch for wxt terminal support.

Tatsuro