Re: get involved?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: get involved?
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 16:46:30 -0700

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 15:00:33 +0200, Marx Chhay wrote:
> Hi!
> My name is Marx, I am assistant professor (maître de conférences) at the
> University of Savoie Mont Blanc, France, since 2011.
> My research focus on numerical methods, their numerical properties, and the
> application to engineering problems (fluid mechanics, scalar transport, ...).
> Of course, I am using octave (since 2006) for doing simulations (but I am
> also programming in fortran90).
>
> Well, I would like to spend some time in helping to the development of such a
> great project as Octave.
> I could not devote a full time working on that project, far from it, but I
> think I can regularly spend some few time...
> I am interested in getting involved into a very large and famous project.
> The challenge seems to me exciting, moreover because my PhD work was
> dedicated on geometric integration (and I am still looking at this topic,
> even if it is currently not the main one).
>
> Do you think I may be interesting for the Octave's team?

Hi Marx, welcome to the Octave community, if you can find something to
work on that interests you, please help out. We are in the middle of
getting a major release out at the moment, but we are always open to new
contributors. There are plenty of bugs to be triaged, tested, and fixed,
there are many projects to work on, translations to be done, and so on.

If you need help figuring out where to start or specific guidance, do
ask and be as specific as you can.

General guidance for new contributors is to work on something that
interests you personally, maybe a specific function or option that is
missing, maybe an error that annoys you, maybe a performance bottleneck
you can improve. Other than that, take a look at the bug list or the
lists of projects to see if anything interests you. Or start a
discussion on the mailing list or hang out on the IRC channel.

http://wiki.octave.org/Contribution_guidelines
http://wiki.octave.org/Projects
http://wiki.octave.org/Short_projects
http://wiki.octave.org/IRC