getting involved?

From: Yoni Teitelbaum
Subject: getting involved?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 09:52:30 +0300

Hi all,

I saw this address as the place to write to regarding getting involved in the Octave project. I'm a grad student, and I'm using Octave for modeling.  My background is in math, not CS, so I'd call myself at best an intermediate-level programmer.  I have plenty of experience writing scripts in Python, R, Clojure, Octave, bash and related commandline tools, but as far as C++ or Java are concerned, I pretty much only used them for one class each, back in my undergrad days.  I previously worked as a data scientist at a web startup so I'm familiar with the logistics of a team working on a large codebase.

So what do I do to get involved?  More specifically, do I need to do anything besides clone the repos, pick a (probably small, to begin with) task, let you guys know I'm working on it, and then push my changes somewhere when I've got something I think is usable?

Thanks,

-Yoni Teitelbaum