Re: Test failure with gsl package / help needed

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: Test failure with gsl package / help needed
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2016 10:37:00 +0200

Le 14/09/2016 à 03:34, Tatsuro MATSUOKA a écrit :
I googled by keywords "legendre_sphPlm_array gsl-2.1" and found the
> page.
>
> http://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/gsl/versions/2.1-1/topics/gsl-deprecated
>

> Functions are not detected in my gsl package build are deprecated in gsl-2.1.
> Please consider to use new functions written in that page for gsl-2.1.
>
> Tatsuro
In the gsl manual
https://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/Associated-Legendre-Polynomials-and-Spherical-Harmonics.html#Associated-Legendre-Polynomials-and-Spherical-Harmonics

Function: int gsl_sf_legendre_sphPlm_array (int lmax, int m, double x, double result_array[])
Function: int gsl_sf_legendre_sphPlm_deriv_array (int lmax, int m, double x, double result_array[], double result_deriv_array[])
These functions are now deprecated and will be removed in a future release; see gsl_sf_legendre_array and gsl_sf_legendre_deriv_array.

Tatsuro

Hi Tatsuro, hi all,

Yes, there are four functions that have been deprecated in GSL 2.0 and for which interfaces are still provided by the gsl package : gsl_sf_legendre_Plm_array, gsl_sf_legendre_Plm_deriv_array, gsl_sf_legendre_sphPlm_array, gsl_sf_legendre_sphPlm_deriv_array.

Actually, theses functions are still available in the source code for the latest GSL version (2.2.1) but, depending on a preprocessor FLAG, they may or may not be available in the compiled library.

I have made a few changes to the package to deal with this issue:

a) deprecated functions are now silently ignore when found missing by configure (previously there was a configure warning);

b) a deprecation warning is inserted in the help text of the function.

Another related change is the following:

c) missing functions (detected by configure) are not completely removed form the oct-file.  Instead, a minimal function is preserved, which simply issues an error indicating that the corresponding function was found missing in GSL when the package was built.

Please try the latest dev version of the package to confirm that everything works for you (I have gsl 2.2.1 as well):

> hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/gsl gsl-test
> cd gsl-test
> make dist
> cd target && octave

>> pkg install gsl-1.1.0.tar.gz   # you should only see the usual message here:
For information about changes from previous versions of the gsl package, run 'news gsl'.

>> pkg load gsl
>> test_gslsf
PASSES 25 out of 25 tests

>> help legendre_Plm_array
'legendre_Plm_array' is a function from the file /home/bect/octave/gsl-1.1.0/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-api-v50+/gsl_sf.oct

 -- Loadable Function: Z = legendre_Plm_array (ARG1, ARG2, ARG3)
 -- Loadable Function: Z = legendre_Plm_array (...)

     Compute arrays of Legendre polynomials P_l^m(x) for m >= 0, l =
     |m|, ..., lmax, |x| <= 1.

     This function is from the GNU Scientific Library, see
     <http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/> for documentation.

     *DEPRECATION WARNING*: gsl_sf_legendre_Plm_array has been
     deprecated in GSL 2.0

>> legendre_sphPlm_array ()
error: GSL function gsl_sf_legendre_sphPlm_array was found missing when the gsl package for octave was built.

@++
Julien