Re: Default merged to stable for upcoming 4.2 release

From: Schöps , Sebastian
Subject: Re: Default merged to stable for upcoming 4.2 release
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 12:55:22 +0000

Hi Carlo,

> Francesco's code for DAEs still needs some cleanup especially
> for parameter validation in the solvers, furthermore it introduces
> a new dependency for Octave on Sundials so it will take at least
> a couple more weeks before I push it.
> Nonetheless, I'm trying to extract from it a working version of
> odeset/odeget wichich could go even on the stable branch if I finish
> it in time.
Yes, that would be great. It might become a pain that we have at least 3
different generations of those functions.

> This means most new stuff for ODEs in core will appear only
> in 4.4 therefore the time to make a 4.2-compatible release of odepkg
> is now, and that release should also include the exponential integrators
> developed by Chiara. (@Jack can you test the curren version of odepkg with
> the 4.2 release candidate?)
I think we should be very quick with a new release of odepkg, possibly even
without Chiara's material. John ships already creates the windows binary with a
patched version of odepkg...

> I' working on the patches in BitBucket repo here:
> https://bitbucket.org/cdf1/octave
> in case you want to look at the code, but I'll close the repo
> once everything is pushed.
>
> Any comments, suggestions, objections?

I fully support this. Thanks! Let me know, if you need specific help with
something.

One comment: we should also discuss what to do with dassl and daspk and when. I
think we agreed to move them to odepkg eventually (and possibly change
dassl_options and daspk_options to odeset for better compatibility).

Sebastian