Re: Default merged to stable for upcoming 4.2 release

From: c.
Subject: Re: Default merged to stable for upcoming 4.2 release
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 09:17:00 +0200

On 6 Oct 2016, at 09:06, Marco Caliari <address@hidden> wrote:

> This is what I understand from [Hairer, Norsett, Wanner, Solving ODEs I, p.
> 168]. In particular:
>
> q = min(p,\hat p)
> h_opt = h * (1/err) ^ (1/(q+1))
> "But isn't it more natural to continue the integration with the higher order
> approximation? Then the concept of "error estimation" is abandoned and the
> difference y_1-\hat y_1 is only used for the purpose of step size selection."
>
> Marco

mmmh ...

so the 'order' that we're using for interpolation an the order used for
timestep selection are different,
so shall we just use order instead of order + 1 in the formula? Would that
apply to all methods? I think we may have
problems for those integrators that use Richardson approach to estimeta
truncation error ...

should we use two variables order_dt and order_interp instead? what do you
suggest?

c.