Documentation for ode solver options

From: Rik
Subject: Documentation for ode solver options
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 10:05:59 -0700

10/16/16

Carlo,

One of the goals of Octave is to be a viable replacement for Matlab.
However, when I look at the ode solvers, and the list of options returned
from odeset, there is no documentation for the 23 possible tuning
parameters for the algorithms.  This is okay for people who just need to
run m-files that they have already developed and debugged in Matlab.  But
we're not a good replacement if we say that you *must* use Matlab
documentation in order to understand how to code in Octave.

Documentation changes can be made on the stable branch at any time, so this
doesn't need to hold up the 4.2 release.  But it would be nice to have this
done as early as possible, maybe for the 4.2.1 bug fix release.  I filed a
bug report to keep track of this:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?49360.

--Rik