Re: removing __dispatch__

From: Rik
Subject: Re: removing __dispatch__
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 09:09:25 -0700

On 10/21/2016 09:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Subject:
Removing __dispatch__
From:
"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
Date:
10/21/2016 08:13 AM
To:
Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>
7bit
Message:
3

About 6 years ago, we deprecated the "dispatch" function.  The actual functionality was moved to the internal function __dispatch__ and a .m file wrapper preserved the original function name.  The dispatch function was removed in Feb 2012 for the 3.8 release but we kept the __dispatch__ function and all the internal machinery for it.  Now I can find no uses of either dispatch or __dispatch__ in Octave or Octave Forge.  Does anyone object to completely removing this obsolete feature?

jwe

More Code = More Maintenance Burden

Seems like a fine idea to get rid of this cruft.

--Rik