Easy navigation to function doc in the HTML manual

From: siko1056
Subject: Easy navigation to function doc in the HTML manual
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 04:50:42 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Octavers,

Here is a small proposal for a Javascript extension "ref.html" of the HTML
reference manual to easily navigate to the documentation of a specific
function, just knowing its name.

To find the documentation of the "plot" function, other documentations have
a base URL + the function name, e.g.

https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.0.0/en_US/plot.html
https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/plot.html
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Two_002dDimensional-Plots.html#XREFplot

Now you want to lookup the "abs" function. In the first two URLs, one simply
replaces the function name and is there. For Octave some googling or
[function index][1] reveals the following URL:

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Complex-Arithmetic.html#XREFabs

I think the problem is apparent. With the inclusion of "ref.html", the two
URLs can be resolved via:

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/ref.html?plot
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/ref.html?abs

which is basically just a post-processing of [1] to a Javascript. If
someones disagrees with this feature, I'll remove it. I find it especially
useful for the upcoming "publish" function, where the possibility to link to
Octave function documentation should be given in the next version.

Best,
Kai.

[1]: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Function-Index.html