Re: Website update

From: Alex Krolick
Subject: Re: Website update
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 01:53:27 +0000

On Oct 18 2016, at 2:13 am, siko1056 <address@hidden> wrote:

Some news about the "website project". I occasionally pushed some changes to
the website development repository and the current status is visible here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/new/

The design is very conservative and reminds more of the current website.
Anyway, some great ideas from Alex approach [1] are part of it, but
personally I considered the start page [1] too overwhelming. What remains
is:

- Mobile friendliness
- Some examples on the first page (syntax highlighting)
- Put everythink under the CC-by-nd license [8], as the remaining FSF pages.
- [Possibility for MathJax equations, but currently not needed, so disabled
for performance.]

Most of the changes are not visible to the user, here much more of Alex
approach [1] paid off and I like to add changes much more, than before:

- Use Jekyll [2] to create static websites. (This I can really recommand)
- Content is written in Markdown, rather than HTML.

- An easy maintainable, consistent News Feed system (read more at [3] link
to try is [4]) this should be integrated into the Wiki using the RSS
extension [5] as well. Especially communicating a release is more straight
forward, for an example see [6].

- Develop the website outside the Savannah CVS repository using HG [7]. In
Savannah CVS it only needs to be deployed. Interested website developers can
work on it without group membership at Savannah.

Comments?

Kai.

[1] http://alexkrolick.github.io/octave-web/
[2] https://jekyllrb.com/