Re: octave forge packages on a mac

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: octave forge packages on a mac
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 22:43:02 -0700 (PDT)

Eric Barth wrote
> I also have this problem.  I'm eager to use Octave 4.x with odepkg with my
> students in Ordinary Differential Equations class next term.  The key
> stumbling block is always ease-of-installation for mac users.

I had the same problem that is why I pushed for the dmg. Nonetheless, the
situation is not so bad nowadays. Tell your students to use homebrew or
macports (most will know) and the others shall download the disk image.
Regardless of the installation, version 4.2 includes 'ode23' and 'ode45.m'.
This might be enough for your lecture. A odeXY-compatible solver for stiff
equations will be shipped with the next release. Already included since
years are 'dassl' and 'daspk' but they use different options.

Finally, we try to have a new release of odepkg along the release of octave
4.2.

Eric Barth wrote
> Is it workable for one of you kind developers to use pkg build and make an
> odepkg binary that mac using students can download along with Octave,
> thereby saving the added hassle for these novice users of compiling the
> package?

Indeed, jwe does that for the windows version and one could do the same for
the Mac. I personally do not like this because the packages are updated
rather often, so either the dmg is outdated or we have to continuously
release a new disk image.

Bye
Sebastian