Re: Website update

From: Alex Krolick
Subject: Re: Website update
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 15:28:34 +0000

That's a fine solution - we can add a noscript tag with the nav links. Same with the download tabs.

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016, 7:38 AM siko1056 <address@hidden> wrote:
Another version:

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/new/

The Matlab-Link is removed.

Pantxo wrote

> Mike Miller-4 wrote
>>
>> Pantxo wrote
>>> Another minor remark: the plots on the front page all use the Courier
>>> font
>>> which looks ... old. Maybe using a modern sans serif font would make
>>> them
>>> look more up to date.
>> Yes, the color schemes are also out of date now. All plots should be
>> redone using 4.2 and a consistent sans serif font.
> Using svg format for the web page would also be a good point:
> * it is scalable
> * it is the only format that has the grid line transparency right
>
> I tried to reproduce the current website images using qt (it was gunplot
> right?). I attached the svg images produced using the current dev version
> of gl2ps [1] (
> simpleplot.svg
> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4680475/simpleplot.svg>
> ,
> sombrero.svg
> <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4680475/sombrero.svg>
> ).
>
> [1] previous versions use the "baseline-shift" attribute for text vertical
> alignment, which is not supported by firefox and librsvg at least.

The images I didn't do myself, anyway I updated to your versions and added a
newer screenshot of 4.2.

Alex Krolick wrote

> John W. Eaton wrote
>>
>> Oliver Heimlich wrote
>>> Nice, some minor remarks:
>>>
>>> 1. Without _javascript_, the margin between the menu bar and the content
>>> is wrong (too small / negative).
>>>
>>> 2. Without _javascript_, the menu is invisible on my phone.
>> Is _javascript_ necessary now? If we can't eliminate it, can we minimize
>> its use and try to make it so basic things still work even if it is
>> disabled?
> The site is 99% static with links doing most of the work. JS is only used
> trigger the dropdown on mobile. On desktop everything should work. I think
> if
> you do "request desktop site" on a mobile browser you can browse without
> _javascript_.

I don' t have a solution yet. But found this one
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30714316/make-zurb-foundation-5-top-bar-menu-work-without-_javascript_-nested-mobile.

Any Ideas?

Best,
Kai