Re: Any outstanding bugs before rc4?

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Any outstanding bugs before rc4?
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 10:30:47 -0800

> On Nov 7, 2016, at 9:19 AM, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> 11/17/16
>
> I checked in changes to fix bug #49509 and #49501 this morning.  Does
> anyone know of anything else that must be fixed before the next release
> candidate (rc4) is made?
>
> --Rik

Definitely not something that will get fixed in the near future, but Octave 4.2
has been really bad on OSX (Homebrew built). Octave 4.0.3 is quite usable, so
it isn’t a show stopper but would recommend that 4.2 not be considered a
“stable release” for OSX. I think most of the the OSX problems already have bug
reports, but here are the ones that are the most problematic:
1) Doesn’t handle Apple retina displays well. I’m not quite sure why this
wasn’t an issue with 4.03, but is with 4.2.
2) I get the GUI hanging about 50% of the time I try and plot things. It
happens less when I take the plotting commands out of the script/function and
execute them from the command line.
3) The GUI hangs almost every single time when trying to close Octave. I can
reduce the likelihood of this happening if I execute a “clear all; close all;”
before trying to exit, but it isn’t 100%.

I have been trying to get a Homebrew version with debug symbols built so I can
start looking at (2) and (3), and submitted a first step patch for (1), but
these three alone make 4.2 virtually unusable on OSX.

John S.