Re: Octave-Forge: requirement for a maintainer Makefile for release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge: requirement for a maintainer Makefile for release
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 19:01:54 -0500

On 11/23/2016 06:18 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:

I have uploaded a template with several comments [1] which I hope it
explains most of the magic.  Can you take a look and maybe expand [2]
any magic that was not obvious to you at the start?

I generally avoid inheriting values from the environment if possible, so instead of

  OCTAVE ?= octave

I would just write

  OCTAVE := octave

You can still set the value on the command line, but you have to do it with a variable assignment in the argument list that is passed to make:

  make OCTAVE=/some/other/octave

Doing it this way avoids the mysterious problems and confusion that can happen if someone has set OCTAVE in their environment and then later forgot about it.