pushing code from GSOC projects (WAS: Re: Default merged to stable for u

From: c.
Subject: pushing code from GSOC projects (WAS: Re: Default merged to stable for upcoming 4.2 release)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 15:56:22 +0100

On 2 Oct 2016, at 18:51, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 29 Sep 2016, at 20:00, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I've merged default to stable for the upcoming 4.2 release.
>>
>> Any changes that should be a part of the 4.2 release should be made on
>> stable now and (eventually) merged back to default.  The default branch is
>> open again for any development, not just bug fixes related to the release.
>>
>> If changes that need to be part of the release are accidentally made on
>> default, they can always be grafted on to the stable branch.  But it would
>> better to make them on stable initially.
>>
>> jwe
>
> Hi,
>
> Now hat the default branch is open again for development I'd
> like to start pushing the code produced by the SOC students this
> summer.
>
> Cris' work on iterative solvers will go in first as it is the least
> invasive and only needs very little style adjustments, which can be
> done after the push.
>
> Francesco's code for DAEs still needs some cleanup especially
> for parameter validation in the solvers, furthermore it introduces
> a new dependency for Octave on Sundials so it will take at least
> a couple more weeks before I push it.
> Nonetheless, I'm trying to extract from it a working version of
> odeset/odeget wichich could go even on the stable branch if I finish
> it in time.
>
> This means most new stuff for ODEs in core will appear only
> in 4.4 therefore the time to make a 4.2-compatible release of odepkg
> is now, and that release should also include the exponential integrators
> developed by Chiara. (@Jack can you test the curren version of odepkg with
> the 4.2 release candidate?)
>
> I' working on the patches in BitBucket repo here:
> https://bitbucket.org/cdf1/octave
> in case you want to look at the code, but I'll close the repo
> once everything is pushed.
>
> Any comments, suggestions, objections?
>
> c.

Dear all,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, long time has passed becaus I have
been waiting for 4.2.0 to be released and was then too busy to look
into this again.

Now I would really like to push the ode15x and iterative solver code
to core, especially to make sure they are integrated well ahead of
any upcoming release.

I have posted patches here:
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9175

and here:
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9108

Is it OK if I push these changes and continue work in the main repository?

Also, what is the best way to merge the changes into core?

Would it work if I merge the two feature branches [*] into default
on bitbucket then do

hg push -b default

to savannah?
Or should I just import the patches that I posted to the tracker?

c.

[*] Yes I know I should have been using bookmarks ...