Re: Request for package testing

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: Request for package testing
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 03:56:53 -0800 (PST)

Sebastian Schöps wrote
> Yes, it's installed in '/usr/local'. However, the include is not found.
> The question is, whose fault is it? Is my octave installation, the
> installer or the user to blame :) My octave installation is not in
> '/usr/local' and therfore mkoctfile does not suggest '/usr/local/include'.
>
> @siku1056 what path does your mkoctfile return?

I think I get your point. On my system the MPFR library is installed in the
standard directory:

$ find /usr/ -iname "mpfr.h"
/usr/include/mpfr.h

But not a single variable from the mkoctfile-help-string printed via
`mkoctfile -p VAR` lists this `/usr/include` directory. Maybe my gcc/g++ is
so kind to include this directory by default and there is something
hardcoded in mkoctfile [1]. So your question is, if the interval package
needs or provides an option to point to (or detect) the MPFR-installation?

I think this is difficult. Usually, users want to install it via `pkg
install -forge interval`. There is no chance to provide a include or library
directory to the pkg command (which would definitely be an overkill). One
can hack around this by changing the some environment variable, for example
running

setenv ("CXX", "g++ -I/usr/local/include")

before the `pkg` command, as mkoctfile seems to look at the environment
variables before execution. But this is everything but user friendly.

Kai

[1]: http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/tip/src/mkoctfile.in.cc