Re: building web-octave requires Jekyll 3.3

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: building web-octave requires Jekyll 3.3
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2016 16:10:00 -0800

On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 16:07:18 -0800, Mike Miller wrote:
> Kai, all,
>
> I just found out over a few minutes frustrations and searching that the
> web-octave project requires Jekyll 3.3 or higher to build properly.
>
> In particular, the "absolute_url" and "relative_url" Liquid filters are
> new in Jekyll 3.3.
>
> The latest Jekyll version in Debian is 3.1. Therefore it should at least
> be mentioned somewhere that Jekyll should be installed with gem to get
> the latest upstream version. Is it possible to put a minimum version
> requirement in _config.yml so this could be caught automatically and
> prevent someone from building and pushing a bad build?

Once I install jekyll, kramdown, liquid, and pygments.rb from gems
rather than the Debian-provided versions, I get better results of
course.

I still noticed some slight differences in the output due to the user's
local time zone. I added "timezone" to the configuration so it should be
consistent from now on

  http://hg.octave.org/web-octave/rev/666ca704a210

and updated the site.

I think it's fine to require Jekyll 3.3, but it would be even better to
explicitly document that or error in the build somehow if it is not
satisfied.

Any ideas on how to make this easier and less error-prone would be
welcome I think.

--
mike