Re: Website autodetect OS

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Website autodetect OS
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 10:18:48 -0500

On 12/07/2016 04:41 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 17:13:14 +0000, Parsiad Azimzadeh wrote:
However (for me at least) the default active tab is always GNU/Linux. It
should be easy to add some JS to set the default active tab to the user's
OS. See, e.g.,
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7044944/jquery-javascript-to-detect-os-without-a-plugin.
Figured this might help more users download Octave.

Yeah, the default is hardcoded to be GNU/Linux for now.

Can you file a bug report so this isn't forgotten and someone can
provide patches to add this feature?

I'm not sure we should do this. Octave is about promoting free software, so it seems fine to me to default to a free OS regardless of what OS the browser claims the user's OS is.

Also, FWIW, I find it annoying when download sites assume they know what I'm looking for based on the type of OS I'm using. Maybe I'm browsing using one OS but looking for software for another?