Re: Failed to build package build-m4

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Failed to build package build-m4
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 16:34:11 -0500

On 12/08/2016 02:30 PM, Sascha Suessspeck wrote:
Greetings John,

Thanks for your reply. To answer your first question, I downloaded a
zip-file from http://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave/ and hit 'autoconfig'

Do you mean autoconf?

> in the command prompt while running MINGW32 shell in the background,

I don't know what you mean by "in the background" in this context. I suspect there is some confusion here about the terms that you are using.

> then './configure', then 'make zip-dist'.

Yes, I did all this on a Windows system. I did try the alternative
building Octave natively for Windows, on a Windows system. I ran
'./configure' in the folder of the patched Octave source code (v4.2.0)
and stumbled over the PCRE library and header files that need to be
installed. I downloaded and installed (./configure) PCRE, and placed a
copy of the pcre folder and related files in the C:\MinGW\include and
other folders. However, I could not locate the required pcre_compile
file anywhere and am stuck.

If you are using mxe-octave to build Octave for Windows on a Windows system, then you are doing a native build. A cross-build means you are building for a different OS than the one where the build is running. I.e., you are building Octave for Windows while doing the build on a Linux system.

I think you need to use the following options for the configure step:

  ./configuire --enable-native-build

You may also want to use the options

  --enable-binary-packages
  --enable-devel-tools