Re: Regarding categorical array and GSoC 2017

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Regarding categorical array and GSoC 2017
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:02:47 -0800

On Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 22:19:18 -0800, NVS Abhilash wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just started learning Octave, I am working on implementing the
> categorical arrays. I am
> not able to give full attention to the octave development as my
> semesters' final exams are gonna start. But still I managed to do
> something.
>
> https://bitbucket.org/nvs232/octave-categorical
>
> Please check it out. I have implemented the following:
>
> 1. categorical function
> 2. iscategorical
> 3. categories
> 4. display

This is good work so far, thank you for your effort and describing what
you've done.

> I know it has many things unimplemented like:
>
> 1. categorical function doesn't sort the catnames if ordinal is false
> 2. categorical only supports cell array of character vectors.
> 3. I have not done proper error checking for the input parameters.
>
> And their are many more functionality and functions to add.
> I will be giving my full time from 17 December(When my exams end).
> Please fell free to provide feedback upon the code.

You are of course free to work on what you want, but I would advise you
to improve the functions that you have so that they can be integrated
into Octave.

You did incorporate the suggestions I made in an earlier message, but
you didn't respond on the list so I wasn't sure until I looked at the
code whether you did or not. So the code style is looking a lot better,
still needs a little work.

It would be helpful if every function had a Texinfo doc string. There
are plenty of examples of how Octave functions are documented, please
try to add some and follow Octave conventions for marking up the
function calling syntax and a brief description of what it does.

It would also be helpful to add some unit tests for each of the
functions you have written. There are also plenty of examples of the
unit test syntax to follow.

And lastly, since you haven't gotten very many responses here, it might
be helpful to write a brief motivational example for how and why to use
categorical arrays. If you were trying to convince me that this is a
useful feature, how would I use it, what can I do with it? Assume that I
have never used these functions in Matlab before (which is true).

> I would wanna know what time do you expect the project to be completed?
> I have got doubts in my mind. I am confused. I wanted to do some
> project which could help me get started in octave so that I could
> apply for GSoC. But now, that I am doing this project. I feel as if
> this project will take time. And I wanna know is there a chance that
> this project could be a part of GSoC.
>
> What I mean is, is is the project scope big enough to qualify as a
> GSoC project. If so, that could help me to partially complete the
> project now, and then provide a full complete functionality in the
> summer.
>
> If such a thing is not possible, I request you to guide me for what do
> you think I should do, should I try to complete this project till
> December end, and then prepare for some other potential GSoC projects
> like improve logm, sqrtm... ( The one I was interested and discussed
> about the same with Mudil). or I should take some other path.

I think the best way to determine that is to start working with a
potential mentor and discuss what the scope of the project would be. For
a categorical array project, you may have to find someone willing to
help you out, which may involve a little more work to plan and pitch the
project to the group. For the logm project, a potential mentor is listed
on the wiki and probably have an idea of what the project might involve.

I think it's admirable that you are thinking about GSoC this early, but
it may be hard to get people's attention now at the end of the calendar
year, and still so close to the end of the last GSoC. If you don't get
the response you are hoping for now, try again in a few weeks. If what
you really want to work on is the logm project, focus your message on
that.

--
mike