Re: Regarding categorical array and GSoC 2017

From: NVS Abhilash
Subject: Re: Regarding categorical array and GSoC 2017
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 19:29:50 -0800 (PST)

Hey Mike,

I am glad you replied.

Mike Miller-4 wrote
> On Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 22:19:18 -0800, NVS Abhilash wrote:
> This is good work so far, thank you for your effort and describing what
> you've done.
>
> You are of course free to work on what you want, but I would advise you
> to improve the functions that you have so that they can be integrated
> into Octave.

Can you please explain to me what what improvement are you reffering to. Is
it possible to integrate the individual functions to octave. Because I had a
perception that I need to complete the whole set of function for the
"categorical arrays" functions for it to be integrated.

Is it possible to integrate my current work, with the changes you suggest to
octave?

Mike Miller-4 wrote
> You did incorporate the suggestions I made in an earlier message, but
> you didn't respond on the list so I wasn't sure until I looked at the
> code whether you did or not. So the code style is looking a lot better,
> still needs a little work.

Thanks, and sorry for not replying. I would be regularly posting the changes
I make in that thread.

Mike Miller-4 wrote
> It would be helpful if every function had a Texinfo doc string. There
> are plenty of examples of how Octave functions are documented, please
> try to add some and follow Octave conventions for marking up the
> function calling syntax and a brief description of what it does.
>
> It would also be helpful to add some unit tests for each of the
> functions you have written. There are also plenty of examples of the
> unit test syntax to follow.

Yes, I will do that.

Mike Miller-4 wrote
> And lastly, since you haven't gotten very many responses here, it might
> be helpful to write a brief motivational example for how and why to use
> categorical arrays. If you were trying to convince me that this is a
> useful feature, how would I use it, what can I do with it? Assume that I
> have never used these functions in Matlab before (which is true).

Ok I am working on that. Where should I post it. README file of my
repository seems a good place to me. Is their some other place too?

Mike Miller-4 wrote
> I think the best way to determine that is to start working with a
> potential mentor and discuss what the scope of the project would be. For
> a categorical array project, you may have to find someone willing to
> help you out, which may involve a little more work to plan and pitch the
> project to the group. For the logm project, a potential mentor is listed
> on the wiki and probably have an idea of what the project might involve.
>
> I think it's admirable that you are thinking about GSoC this early, but
> it may be hard to get people's attention now at the end of the calendar
> year, and still so close to the end of the last GSoC. If you don't get
> the response you are hoping for now, try again in a few weeks. If what
> you really want to work on is the logm project, focus your message on
> that.
>
> --
> mike

Thanks, I am really interested to work on a project in GSoC. I think I will
go for "Improving logm, funm..." for GSoC. I will do as you suggested.

Really thank you for your reply. Thank you for guiding me.

Thanks,
NVS

-----
NVS Abhilash