Re: Regarding categorical array and GSoC 2017

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Regarding categorical array and GSoC 2017
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 14:51:33 -0800

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 19:29:50 -0800, NVS Abhilash wrote:
> Can you please explain to me what what improvement are you reffering to. Is
> it possible to integrate the individual functions to octave. Because I had a
> perception that I need to complete the whole set of function for the
> "categorical arrays" functions for it to be integrated.
>
> Is it possible to integrate my current work, with the changes you suggest to
> octave?

IMHO, yes, a partially complete implementation is better than none.
Incorporating it into Octave's development branch may also inspire
others to look at it and work on some of the other related functions.

> Ok I am working on that. Where should I post it. README file of my
> repository seems a good place to me. Is their some other place too?

Sounds good, either a README or on the mailing list, or both.

Describing your work to Octave developers may help generate some
interest in using and improving what you have, and help devs understand
if what you have is good enough to incorporate into Octave as is, or if
some other set of functions would be needed to make it really useful.

--
mike