Re: Octave Forge -- Looking for a new leader

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: Octave Forge -- Looking for a new leader
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 10:09:15 +0100

Le 21/12/2016 à 23:09, Carnë Draug a écrit :
Hi everyone

For quite some time I have been the primary maintainer of the
Octave-Forge project but for the last year or so I have not been
able to do what is required for such a position.

I have been feeling it creep for a while so six months ago I suggested
to have some sort of election like Debian does [1].  When no one
said anything, I realized it was a terrible idea.  Still, we need a
new maintainer for the project. The current situation is not good
for me and is not good for the project either.

Is anybody interested in taking the lead? If you are not comfortable
naming yourself, then feel free to contact me offline.

Thanks
Carnë

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-maintainers/2016-04/msg00054.html

Thank you Carnë for all the good work.

I am in total agreement with Olaf and John when they say that we should now find a way to distribute/share/split the work.

Concerning governance (making decisions) I believe that it would be better to split the responsibility between several persons. The composition of this group (how many persons? are there permanent members? how and when is this regroup renewed? etc.) and the way of making decisions (voting procedure? veto for some special permanent members? etc.) should be discussed. Also, this group could coincide (or not) with the "admin" group of the octave project on SourceForge.

Concerning practical tasks, it should be rather easy to share the load. But we have first to identify and describe the tasks (Olaf started to do this in his email), then distribute the tasks between people and give them the permissions required to accomplish the task(s). It is possible to create as many special user groups as we want on SourceForge, and give each of them specific permissions on a given "tool".

Take "package release management" for instance: currently Carnë does this alone, following a procedure that (I believe) is not public. Once the release procedure (and scripts ?) are shared (perhaps on some "of-admin" repo ?), we could have a group of several (2? 5? 10?) people handling releases collaboratively through the release tracker. This group could be materialized as a special user group on SourceForge, with permission to read/write on the release tracker. And this group should contain at least one admin, with permission to add/remove people from the group, change the properties of the package tracker, etc. Am I over-simplifying the issue? Does anything prevents us from starting right now to share this task?

Just my two cents.

@++
Julien