Re: Octave Forge -- Looking for a new leader

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Octave Forge -- Looking for a new leader
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 22:33:06 +0100

On Sun, Jan 08, 2017 at 08:41:55PM +0100, Julien Bect wrote:
> Le 08/01/2017 à 17:31, c. a écrit :
> >On 8 Jan 2017, at 16:59, Julien Bect <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>My opinion about the second option (transforming OF into a collection of
> >>externally hosted repos and/or tarballs) : this would be very drastic
> >>change of philosophy,
> >I think this is one moment where we have the opportunity to make "drastic"
> >changes ...
>
> Sure, it is.
>
> But this is in my opinion a case where a slightly more formalized decisional
> structure could help.  Because, here, once all the arguments will have been
> exposed in this (or other) threads, who is supposed to make a decision?

It would be good if we had a voting system. But as for the above
question, I doubt that it is a matter of formal decision at all.

The question is not whether to publish a list of known
packages. Everybody is free to do that. How this is best done is a
separate topic.

The question is rather whether or not the concept of a central web
site with some coordinated consistency of packages should be given up.

It is legitimate that arguments are given here for both concepts. But
if it comes to decisions, those who want to carry on with a central
web site can't be forced by others to give up. The question is only if
there are enough left. Future will show if we survive or how
minimalistic we have to become.

This thread was started with the concept of a central web site in
mind, so any decisions taken in this thread should be among those who
want to carry on.

As for a voting system, it can only be used by members (in some sense)
of the central web site, _after_ everybody has taken the decision
whether to take part or not.

All the above should of cause be prefixed with 'IMO'. It is not meant
to sound rough. But if 'drastic' changes are discussed, we need clear
words, I think.

Olaf