Re: OF package maintainers please vote: Scope of OF?

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: OF package maintainers please vote: Scope of OF?
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 14:58:12 +0100

Le 10/01/2017 à 13:51, Olaf Till a écrit :
Dear all,

there is no new person authorized to initialize a vote on Octave
Forge, but maybe you see the need for it, although I'm not the right
person to start it.

After a controversial discussion in the thread "...looking for a new
leader..." and a similarly controversial off-list discussion
initalized by Julien with Oliver and me, I think the first principal
issue to decide on is the following:

There are two different main concepts proposed for OF:

1. Simply maintain a list of packages, hosted elsewhere.

2. Continue to execercise some central control onto contained
   packages, making the package maintainers potentially bound to some
   majority- or admin-decisions.

For 2., two subvariants have been proposed:

2.1. In addition to the controled packages, maintain a list of
     independent packages, checked only for some formal structural
     conformance, which are primarily hosted elsewhere. OF contains
     'copies' of the external repositories, synchronized at least at
     release time. The package maintainer has exclusive control, if OF
     decides to fork the package, a different package name must be
     used.

2.2. Only the controled packages are contained in OF.

Of course, each choice requires that some person(s) is(are) willing to
maintain OF. If this is the case can only be seen later.

I think the OF package maintainers should decide on this. If you vote,
please indicate which OF package(s) you maintain.

Please indicate if you prefer 1. or 2..

In case of 2., please indicate if you prefer 2.1. or 2.2.

Feel free to give arguments for a choice (I'll do it also in my vote),
but please keep your vote at a prominent position in your e-mail. You
can also give arguments in a sparate e-mail before you vote, or if you
don't vote, or if you aren't a maintainer at all. In fact it could be
advisable to first read some arguments and to vote afterwards.

I hope this works... if it works, I think one week is enough for vote
collection. That is all very informal...

I am co-maintainer of the (externally hosted !) stk package, and (more or less implicitely) the maintainer of the generate_html and gsl packages.

I vote for option 2.1.

OF is already, and should remain IMHO, a mix of self- and externally hosted packages (with a set of rules to maintain coordination of the OF package ecosystem as a whole).

More on this in a separate thread.

@++
Julien