Re: have headers & libs, but cannot configure/make

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: have headers & libs, but cannot configure/make
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 17:17:56 -0800

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 16:42:33 -0800, Chris Roat wrote:
> The PCRE fix gets me through the configuration.  Woohoo.
>
> However, it seems the PCRE include dependency is not added during
> compilation, so the libinterp/corefcn/regexp.cc compile fails.  If I do
> that one manually, and restart the make, I can get all the way to the end.

Ok, I see that, I'll add that in the right place.

> I did find I needed tools like bison, flex, gperf, rsvg-convert, icoutils.
> Are those required when building from a released version, the same way
> bootstrap has already been run?

No, they are only required when building from hg. Many GNU projects have
this concept of maintainer rules vs normal build rules. The files that
these tools generate are shipped in the source release so the make rules
aren't called (unless you choose to patch one of the input files).

> Gotcha.  It's not clear how these dependencies should be managed.  For
> example, for FT2_LIBS, I needed freetype, png, and zlib.   And for
> --with-fontconfig, I also needed an XML library (in addition to $FT_LIBS).
>

> > I also just spotted a possible typo, configure.ac refers to
> > FREETYPE_LIBS, which should probably be FT2_LIBS. Can you test whether
> > that helps your build?
>

> Not sure why, but I did not have to update that.

This was in reference to the way I asked you earlier to include freetype
in the --with-fontconfig option. Can you try the following change

  sed -i 's/FREETYPE_LIBS/FT2_LIBS/' configure.ac

and see if you can build without the need to duplicate your
--with-freetype libraries into your --with-fontconfig libraries? You'll
have to run bootstrap again (or you could patch configure directly).

> The only other 2 non-standard things I'm doing are:
> CPPFLAGS has -I for the SuiteSparse_config directory.  That could be
> specific to my setup or version (4.2.1).

Could be. The Debian libsuitesparse-dev package, version 4.2.1, has no
such directory. Looking at the 4.2.1 suitesparse distribution, I see no
reason for that, unless SuiteSparse is not actually installed, just
built and linked from its source/build directory. Is that how you're
using it?

> LDFLAGS still needs the GLPK library.

Looking at the way library dependencies are lined up, I'm wondering now
if this is because glpk is *only* linked into a shared oct file
normally.

Are you building with any of the following optional libraries: Qt, FLTK,
qhull, portaudio, or sndfile? These are all normally only linked into
shared oct files, not into the Octave libraries.

I am not sure what the intent is with respect to oct files when building
a static Octave, maybe jwe can clue us in here.

--
mike