Re: have headers & libs, but cannot configure/make

From: Chris Roat
Subject: Re: have headers & libs, but cannot configure/make
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 12:05:20 -0800

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 5:17 PM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 16:42:33 -0800, Chris Roat wrote:
> The PCRE fix gets me through the configuration.  Woohoo.
>
> However, it seems the PCRE include dependency is not added during
> compilation, so the libinterp/corefcn/regexp.cc compile fails.  If I do
> that one manually, and restart the make, I can get all the way to the end.

Ok, I see that, I'll add that in the right place.

Great, thanks!

 Can you try the following change

  sed -i 's/FREETYPE_LIBS/FT2_LIBS/' configure.ac

and see if you can build without the need to duplicate your
--with-freetype libraries into your --with-fontconfig libraries? You'll
have to run bootstrap again (or you could patch configure directly).

Yep, that's seems to have done it.  Great!

> The only other 2 non-standard things I'm doing are:
> CPPFLAGS has -I for the SuiteSparse_config directory.  That could be
> specific to my setup or version (4.2.1).

Could be. The Debian libsuitesparse-dev package, version 4.2.1, has no
such directory. Looking at the 4.2.1 suitesparse distribution, I see no
reason for that, unless SuiteSparse is not actually installed, just
built and linked from its source/build directory. Is that how you're
using it?

Yes.

> LDFLAGS still needs the GLPK library.

Looking at the way library dependencies are lined up, I'm wondering now
if this is because glpk is *only* linked into a shared oct file
normally.

Are you building with any of the following optional libraries: Qt, FLTK,
qhull, portaudio, or sndfile? These are all normally only linked into
shared oct files, not into the Octave libraries.

No, I have turned those off, but I could imagine wanting qhull in the future.

I am not sure what the intent is with respect to oct files when building
a static Octave, maybe jwe can clue us in here.

Out of curiosity, what is your upcoming release schedule looking like?  I'm just interested in knowing if a point release might come out soon (with the changes we've discussed).

Cheers,