Re: Savannah Status for patches which have been reviewed

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Savannah Status for patches which have been reviewed
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 04:37:56 -0800 (PST)

Rik-4 wrote
> All,
>
> Twice in the last week I've run in to the situation on the bug tracker
> where a patch has been submitted, and an Octave regular has reviewed it,
> and it now needs only a quick glance by a second set of eyes before being
> committed.  What is the appropriate "Status" field to use for this
> situation?  Is it "Ready for Test"?  Or should a new status entry "Patch
> Reviewed" be added?
>
> The problem is that there are bugs on the tracker for which the solution
> is
> already available (patch submitted and reviewed), but which won't get
> committed until some time close to the 4.4.0 release when the Maintainers
> make a concerted effort to review and close out bugs.  If there were a
> simple way to sort for bugs which are at this final stage they might get
> committed sooner.
>
> --Rik

AFAIU "Ready for test" and "Patch submitted" merely mean the same thing:
there's a solution and it needs to be tested against the situation in which
the original bug occurred.
Or is it so that "Ready for test" might mean "the fix has been pushed, just
verify & report back, please", while "Patch submitted" literally means
"patch uploaded to tracker"?

I second your idea of having a status like "Patch verified to work".

Note that also on the patch tracker there are numerous patches waiting for
(testing &) final review. Some constitute real improvements for users but
are big and/or need extra attention (uitable, perhaps variable editor),
several others are rather lower level improvements that would be good to
apply (e.g., Java fixes).  To wait until we're stressed for an imminent new
stable release and then ignore them (again) would be an undue waste of
contributor resources, IMO.

Philip