Re: possible memory wasting in array handling

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: possible memory wasting in array handling
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 16:12:49 -0500

On 01/20/2017 04:15 AM, Olaf Till wrote:
On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 03:16:44PM +0100, Olaf Till wrote:
A more difficult way would
involve to maintain, in ArrayRep, not only a refcount, but also a
notion of the greatest slice referenced by any Array.

I'm more and more convinced that the problem caused by the described
behaviour is serious. Would you consider a patch?

(I have a test case, too. It's machine dependent and on GNU/Linux
involves switching to single user mode and turning off swapping.)

It should be fairly easy to make the array slice optimization optional.

If we make change things so that Octave chooses slices vs. copying based on the slice to full array size, then that should probably also be configurable in some way.