Re: dsolve does not work in Symbolic

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: dsolve does not work in Symbolic
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 23:50:34 -0800

On 21/01/17 09:01, Daniel MÃ¥rtensson wrote:
I just want to say that dsolve does not work.

dsolve()
warning: the 'dsolve' function belongs to the symbolic package from
Octave Forge but has not yet been implemented.

But loading pkg load symbolic works and also syms x works too. The solve
function works too.

Hi Daniel,

As I said in my other email, it does work, it just needs at least one symbolic input.

But Octave's warning here is misleading ("not yet been implemented") so I've proposed a patch [1] and CC'd the octave-maintainers mailing list.

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9238

With that patch, you would see something more helpful:

>> dsolve
warning: 'dsolve' is a method of class 'sym'; it must be called
with a 'sym' argument (see 'help @sym/dsolve').

best,
Colin