Re: dicom package maintainer

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: dicom package maintainer
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 09:51:28 -0800 (PST)

Carnë Draug wrote
> On 29 January 2017 at 20:26, PhilipNienhuis <

> pr.nienhuis@

> > wrote:
>> Carnë Draug wrote
>>>

> <snip>
>>> A set of dicom files for a thorough test suite may become quite large
>>> so I am not sure if it's a good idea to start adding them to the
>>> repository.  Maybe a repository with test datasets could be created
>>> and there could be optional tests that download the files as part of
>>> maintainer tests.  Such setup would also be handy for core and at
>>> least the io package.
>>
>> .... and the mapping package ..... (think of .shp, .dxf and the various
>> raster file formats.)
>>
>> Good idea, Carnë.
>>
>> That said, for io it would only be the reading of (especially) .xlsx
>> files
>> that would benefit.
>> Properly writing those files can only be tested by Excel itself :-(
>> (only
>> to some extent by LibreOffice)
>>
>> I still may have several example files that I used for debugging that
>> were
>> handed to me in good faith, yet I think it could be a lot of work to
>> "anonymize" them.
>>

> It would also be some work to make it in a way that is not Octave
> specific since Octave is not the only project that would gain from
> such repository.  I guess that would also attract contributors from
> other projects too.
>
> I have seen projects that have their own repositories of test data in
> a format useful for them.  I am not familiar with any general purpose
> repository for test data.  I don't believe I am the first person to
> think of it but I didn't found anything online.  I guess others have
> also found it to be a difficult problem.

This is a smart idea as well.
Yet my experience in day-to-day business is that connecting everything to
everything merely leads to endless delays and nothing done (+ often a lot of
frustrations).

As to .shp, .dxf and raster files for the mapping package:
I found heaps and heaps of online examples when I wrote/adapted the relevant
functions.  So, extending JohnD's idea in another posting in this thread, we
might add integrated lists in OF packages, or an online-repo, of URLs where
test data sets can be downloaded and add functions to d/ld & unpack those
test data, run tests & delete them afterwards.
Maybe those lists can be in the wiki, so URLs can be maintained & updated
when URLs change (as they tend to do).

Philip