Re: --with-cxsparse-includedir option is ignored

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: --with-cxsparse-includedir option is ignored
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 14:46:05 -0500

On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 12:58:00 +0100, c. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build Octave 4.2 on a machine with Scientific Linux release
> 6.6 (Carbon).
> This machine uses an environmental modules system therefore many libraries,
> including SuiteSparse
> are installed in non-standard locations.
>
> I am configuring with
>
>   ../configure <...> \
>                --with-colamd-includedir=$mkSuitesparseInc \
>                --with-colamd-libdir=$mkSuitesparseLib \
>                --with-amd-libdir=$mkSuitesparseLib \
>                --with-amd-includedir=$mkSuitesparseInc \
>                --with-camd-libdir=$mkSuitesparseLib \
>                --with-camd-includedir=$mkSuitesparseInc \
>                --with-cholmod-libdir=$mkSuitesparseLib \
>                --with-cholmod-includedir=$mkSuitesparseInc \
>                --with-ccolamd-includedir=$mkSuitesparseInc \
>                --with-ccolamd-libdir=$mkSuitesparseLib  \
>                --with-cxsparse-libdir=$mkSuitesparseLib \
>                --with-cxsparse-includedir=$mkSuitesparseInc \
>                --with-umfpack-includedir=$mkSuitesparseInc \
>                --with-umfpack-libdir=$mkSuitesparseLib
>
> The configure phase fails with the following message:
>
>   checking for cs_di_sqr in -lcxsparse... yes
>   checking whether CXSparse is version 2.2 or later... no
>   configure: error: CXSparse library is too old (< version 2.2).  Upgrade
> CXSparse (SuiteSparse) or configure Octave with --disable-cxsparse"
>
> The error message is not very useful because the problem is not with the
> version of CXSparse avaialble (the available version is > 3.0), checking
> config.log I see:
>
>   configure:43472: checking whether CXSparse is version 2.2 or later
>   configure:43523: g++ -std=gnu++11 -E  -fPIC  conftest.cpp
>   conftest.cpp:96:24: fatal error: cs.h: No such file or directory
>
> So it seems the directory passed to --with-cxsparse-includedir is not being
> added to the compilation flags (while it is added when testing for, e.g.,
> cholmod), indeed adding "CPPFLAGS=-I$mkSuitesparseInc" is a workaround for
> this problem.
>
> Is this a configuration bug? Does anyone know if it affects the development
> branch? Should I submit it to the tracker?

Yes, this was a bug in the configure script. I was first made aware of
it about a month ago

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-octave/2017-01/msg00041.html

and fixed at that time on the default branch

  https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/ee9aa83dce51

You can backport that fix to stable if you think it's important. Or you
can build by adding any flags you need for the SuiteSparse module into
the global CPPFLAGS variable instead of using the --with-foo options.

--
mike