Re: Possible inclusion in commercial support list

From: edmund ronald
Subject: Re: Possible inclusion in commercial support list
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 16:11:29 +0100

Could you guys avoid forking? Think of the children (users).

On the other hand Inthink commercial support == > more users == > more contributors == > a good thing.

On Monday, February 27, 2017, Pantxo <address@hidden> wrote:
mbro009 wrote
> Our current plans are to make some significant additions to Thodica
> Octave. The maintainers of GNU Octave may consider the changes on a case
> by case basis and include into GNU Octave if they judge them as suitable.
>
> The specific bugs I refer to in my post above relate to how the Lapack
> routines ?gecon are called and the length of the work arrays required for
> real vs complex.
>
> Thank you for your consideration.
>
> Matthew

Matthew,

As an Octave contributor, I find it quite bold (but absolutely legal) that
you impose rules when it comes to have access to your source files. Don't
misinterpret me:
* packaging a different version of Octave for different purpose is a hard
work which I find normal that you want to be paid for and 30 USD is more
than reasonable.
* providing commercial support for using this version or whatever version of
Octave is also fine.

but from a "pragmatic" POV

* fixing bugs you didn't even take the time to report is inefficient: if
ever we have access to your source files, it will be a harder work to
integrate your changes
* even though the GPL does allows you to ask money for your modifications of
licensed files, I would definitely vote for *not promoting this fork in
Octave web site*.

Pantxo