GSoC 2017 project -- Speeding up tensor contraction in Octave

From: Somesh Singh
Subject: GSoC 2017 project -- Speeding up tensor contraction in Octave
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 14:28:36 +0530

Hi All

Tensor contraction is a widely used operation that comes up quite often when performing operations on tensors. It is widely used in many domains such as analysis of chemical compounds. There are a lot of ongoing efforts to speed-up tensor contraction.
Many of the softwares for numerical computation have sound implementations of tensor contraction. In this light, I believe it will be a good idea to have a fast implementation of tensor contraction in Octave for muti-core systems, since tensor contraction offers a lot of scope for parallelism. I would like to propose this as a project for GSoC 2017 and get involved with it.
Please share your thoughts on the suggestion.

Thanks and regards.

- Somesh Singh
IIT Madras
India